The goal of emergency preparedness is to ensure a rapid, coordinated and effective response is possible when an emergency occurs. Preparation involves an investment of time and commitment of resources but is irreplaceable when an emergency arises. Again, the majority of the preparation is typically a site-level responsibility, owing to the varying characteristics of each Board facility (mainly schools). Schools can assist by:
- having a school site emergency plan that puts student and staff safety first;
- ensuring the site plans for each board facility are readily available;
- practicing responding to an emergency on a regular basis;
- ensuring a process is established for communicating during an emergency;
- regularly inspecting equipment and facilities to ensure they operate during an emergency;
- ensuring the Principal, Vice-principal, and school Administrative Assistant(s) are familiar with the System Emergency Response Plan and appropriate incident reporting protocols — and understand the role of the System Emergency Response Team.