Waterloo Region, ON – Trustees of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board have approved the Board’s $299.9 million 2019-20 school year budget.
Government policy changes involving class sizes, reduction in per-pupil funding, and cancellation of the Local Priorities Fund have led to an overall reduction across the school system of approximately $10 million, impacting staff as well as student programming and resources.
The government continues to consult with stakeholders on specific policy changes. As a result, further funding amendments may be introduced in the coming months.
- The overall budget is as follows:
- Total Operating: $278.9 M (+ $5.6 million)
- Total Capital: $20.9 M (+ $2.2 million
- Total Operating & Capital: $299.9 M (+ $7.8 million)
- Some of the strategies used to balance the budget include:
- Reduction of support staff and academic staff throughout the system
- Reduction of school budgets
- Reduction of maintenance budgets
- Deferral of equipment purchases including laptops, Chromebooks, vehicles, furniture, and custodial equipment
- Reduction of departmental PD budgets and PD requiring release time
- Further, a spending freeze was implemented in 2018-19 to increase surpluses available for 2019-20 and future years, should they be needed.
- While the depth and breadth of the proposed reductions may seem daunting, WCDSB Senior Administration believes the school system is resourced in a way that provides students with opportunities, experiences, and instruction that are the envy of most jurisdictions in the world.
- The WCDSB continues to be proud of our strong graduation rates and EQAO scores, a diverse and supported student population whose families value faith-based education, and staff committed to student success and wellness. Additionally, enrolment continues to grow at record rates, with a projected 3.3% increase over 2018-19 and a gain in student market share over 2017-18.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board, representing more than 96,000 Catholic school supporters, operates 48 schools and five adult education facilities serving more than 40,000 elementary, secondary and continuing education students in Waterloo Region – continuing a 183-year tradition of quality, inclusive, faith-based education. Follow us on Twitter: @WCDSBNewswire – #WCDSBAwesome.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
Shesh Maharaj — Chief Financial Officer
(519) 578-3660 | Shesh.Maharaj@wcdsb.ca