Committee of the Whole Board
Monday, October 15, 2018 – Meeting Agenda Package
Public Board Meeting
Monday, October 29, 2018 — Meeting Agenda Package
Renewed Math Strategy Update
An update on Renewed Math Strategy initiatives was presented to the Board of Trustees on Monday, October 15, 2018. The report contains:
- A summary of the 2017‐2018 Renewed Math Strategy
- A description of the Numeracy Initiatives for 2018‐2019
- The intentional purpose of these Numeracy Initiatives
- BIPSA updates in Numeracy and the reasoning behind these additions
- The model for professional learning in Mathematics 2018‐2019 as it pertains to Board needs
To view the complete report, please see pages 7-16 via this link: Meeting Agenda Package
Information Technology Services (ITS) Summer Projects
The Information Technology Services (ITS) department has had a very busy summer preparing for the 2018/19 school year. ITS successfully completed many technology related projects and initiatives that aligned with the Multi-Year Strategic Plan — which will enable staff and students to excel in the coming year.
Key areas of focus for introduction of new technologies, upgrades and maintenance were:
- New StaffNet Portal Transition
- Minecraft EDU, Technology Pedagogy and Intune Rural Pilot Projects
- Broadband Modernization Project
- Implementation of School Messenger
- Educational Space Technology Updates, Refreshes and Moves
- Data, Systems and Information Support Team Projects
- Administrative Team Projects
To view the complete report, please see pages 17-26 via this link: Meeting Agenda Package
Learning Commons Transformation Project
The 2015-2018 Multi-Year Strategic Plan committed to creating and engaging in a multi-year plan to transform school libraries into collaborative student-friendly spaces called Learning Commons. The transformation consists of minor renovations to library spaces and investments into furniture, technology, and equipment that support 21st century learning practices.
As part of preparing the multi-year plan, each school was visited by the Library Support Services Supervisor to scope out proposed changes as well as to draft an annual budget for the investments. Administrators, library technicians, and other school staff at each site were part of the planning process.
Year 1 of the plan was undertaken in 2017-2018 with all schools projected to be completed by the end of the 2021- 2022 school year.
The complete project schedule is provided on pages 17-19 via this link: Meeting Agenda Package
Student Success – Intermediate Update
Towards the end of the 2017-18 school year, the Ministry of Education increased funding to school districts to increase the number of guidance and other teachers in elementary schools to better prepare students for a successful transition to high school, and to help Grade 7 and 8 students take their first steps in career planning.
With this funding increase, the Waterloo Catholic District School Board was able to expand the number of student success consultants from two to five, moving from a model of support for only those fifteen schools who require more intensive support, to being able to support all our elementary schools using our Family of Schools model, with some adjustments for equity.
In this new model of support for intermediate students, the Student Success Consultants (SSC) offer a variety of supports to intermediate students and teachers. These areas include the following:
- Pathway & transition planning
- Individual/small group social-emotional academic support
- Restorative Justice, mediation & conflict resolution
- Capacity building and instructional coaching (e.g. restorative justice, myBlueprint implementation, Engagement Through Innovation Initiative)
- Intensive support for individual students in-risk (“Check & Connect”)
For a deeper look at the work of the Student Success Consultants, please see pages 20-22 via this link: Meeting Agenda Package
Student Trustees Report
Student Trustees Izabella Tyc and Meghan Nemeth presented their monthly report on activities in WCDSB’s secondary schools. The report is available on pages 34-35 via this link: Meeting Agenda Package
Upcoming Board Meetings
Regular Committee of the Whole Board Meeting
Monday, November 12, 2018
Regular Public Board Meeting
Monday, November 26, 2018
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board, representing more than 96,000 Catholic school supporters, operates 49 schools and four adult education facilities, serving more than 40,000 elementary, secondary and continuing education students in Waterloo Region – continuing a 182-year tradition of quality, inclusive, faith-based education. Follow us on Twitter: @WCDSBNewswire – #WCDSBAwesome.
– 30 –
For more information, please contact:
John Shewchuk – Chief Managing Officer | (519) 578-3660 | email@example.com