Support Catholic Education. Make Sure You’re “Ticked”!

YOU may have changed address in the last few years — but your Catholic school tax support probably didn’t follow you. That means, while you may think you are a registered Catholic school supporter, you may not be! So, it may be time to get “ticked”. Here’s some important information about how you can help keep our schools #WCDSBAwesome:

Make Sure Your School Support Designation is “English Separate” (Catholic). It’s a powerful message in support of Waterloo Region’s Catholic schools & Catholic education.

When you designate yourself as an English Separate school supporter, you help promote a strong political voice through your elected representative (Trustee) in ensuring your rights to a Catholic education for the young people in our province. In Municipal School Board elections, only Roman Catholic school supporters may vote for Catholic School Trustees. The Direction of School Support also determines the number of Catholic School Trustees to be elected within the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.

All Catholics are eligible to support Catholic education – not just those with children in school

You don’t have to have children in school to direct your school support to Catholic education. In Waterloo Region there are more people who DO NOT have children in school than DO have children in school. Their support is vital to the continuation of our Catholic education system. It is an investment in our future and all Catholic ratepayers are partners with Catholic educators in this investment.

Have you moved?

Even if you have been a Catholic school supporter in the past, the designation DOES NOT follow you when you relocate. Every time you move, it is essential that you re-declare yourself as a Catholic school supporter.

How to verify your registration as an English Separate school supporter?

  • Check the assessment section of your Tax Bill or Property Assessment Notice
  • Check your Voter Information Card received during a municipal election year.

What to do if you are NOT registered as a Catholic school supporter, but want to designate your support to Catholic Education:

If you are NOT registered as a Catholic school supporter, but want to designate your support to Catholic Education you need to fill out the Application for Direction of School Support.

When a Roman Catholic and a Non-Catholic are jointly responsible for the payment of property taxes — either directly through ownership or indirectly through the payment of rent — a Catholic School Support Lease is required. This lease is simply a technical tool designed to give the Roman Catholic the sole right to determine the school support of her or his residence.

When you have updated your forms, you have two options:

  1. Return the forms to your child’s school.
  2. If you do not have children attending school, drop your forms at your nearest WCDSB school – or drop them at (or mail them to) the WCDSB head office: 35 Weber St., W., Kitchener, ON, N2G 4G2.

If you have any questions, please contact the Waterloo Catholic District School Board at 519-578-3660 Ext. 2355.

January 17th, 2018|

Share on social media.