As a member of the collaborative team, a Board Certified Behaviour Analysts (BCBA) and Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) Facilitators is assigned a family of schools and can be accessed through a formal referral process. Details and requirements of the process can be outlined by your schools Special Education Liaison.
With the guidance of Universal Supports and the implementation of a variety of evidence-based ABA strategies, BCBA/ABA Facilitators focus on building capacity with school staff to assist with student skill acquisition that will allow the student to increase independence across all school environments, as well as participate with their peers in a socially significant and inclusive manner. Through data collection, review and analysis, BCBA’s/ABA Facilitator’s strive to determine the “why” (i.e., the function) behind behaviour(s). BCBA’s/ABA Facilitator’s will make recommendations based on function, to help:
- Decrease an unwanted behaviour(s) while teaching socially significant replacement skills.
- Increase, maintain and generalize existing skills and/or teach new skills.
This could include the use of visual supports, reinforcement, prompt and prompt fading, data collection, environmental manipulations etc., transition support and coaching/modeling of recommended strategies. A BCBA/ABA Facilitator can also provide a variety of ABA based training and education opportunities for school staff and assist in goal setting and measurement of goals relevant to the student’s Individual Education Plan (IEP).
Connections 4 Students Program and Services:
- Acts as the WCDSB contact for the Central West School Support Program-Autism Spectrum Disorders (CW SSP-ASD) services provided by Erinoak, Autism Intervention Program (AIP) and the family when a student with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) begins the Ministry-mandated transition-to-school process (Connections).
- Consults and collaborates with the CW SSP-ASD Transition Consultant on a case-by-case basis
- Provides support to Principals and school staff related to transition of students with ASD into their schools from publicly-funded IBI programs
- Collaborates with and supports the school-level Transition Team as required for students involved with the Connections process.
- Provides/coordinates ASD/ABA training and resources to schools/school board staff
- Provide families with resources on Autism Spectrum Disorder
Consultation for Services
- Consultation includes a review of ABA strategies (i.e., the use of prompts/prompt fading and reinforcement to support independence building) and other strategies to support programming.
- A summary of recommendations/strategies will be presented to the school team and the report will be placed in the OSR and sent home to the students’ family. The ABA Facilitator/BCBA will follow up with the school approximately two weeks after the initial consultation.
- Further support may include a Collaborative Team Observation which may include one or more of the following: the Special Education Liaison, Family of Schools CYCW, Behaviour Analyst, Speech and Language Pathologist and Autism Support Facilitator. A written report including recommendations to support the student’s needs will be presented to the school team and placed in the OSR and sent home to the students’ family.