St. Mary’s High School is the home of the Eagles with a current population of 1880 students. We are nestled in the heart of Kitchener serving a diverse student population that include a large ESL program and the provinces largest Specialist High Skills Major program.
St. Mary’s High School has undergone many changes throughout its history. From its beginnings as a convent school, St. Mary’s has transformed itself many times. Not only has the focus and purpose of the school evolved over time, so has its physical shape changed. Milestones 1907 St. Ann’s Convent School opened as preparatory school for candidates interested in becoming School Sisters of Notre Dame and eager to obtain a Catholic High School Education. The first class opened with nine students in the Old Pierce Terrace (White House) later referred to as the Choir Studio with the first graduating class in 1910. 1928-30 Grades 9 to 12 students were accommodated in four classrooms offered to the Separate School Board by St. Mary’s Parish. In 1920 the school became known as St. Mary’s High School and opened its doors to 45 students. 1930-80
As student enrolment increased, the all-girls school continued to expand occupying a block on Weber street bordered by Ontario and Young streets. Expansions and renovations included increased teaching space, a gymnasium, cafeteria, chapel and library. St. Mary’s senior students paid tuition until 1984 when full funding for Catholic education in the province of Ontario was announced. 1990-2001 In 1990, St. Mary’s became a co-ed school due to the closure of the former St. Jerome’s all-boys school. Students now occupied both the original St. Mary’s campus as well as classrooms across the street at the former St. Jerome’s campus. 1990-present In the fall of 2002, St. Mary’s moved to a brand new, state of the art educational facility located near Block Line Road and Homer Watson Boulevard. In addition to regular teaching spaces, our new facility includes specialized technology, computer and science labs, triple-gym, auditorium, and chapel. We also have two natural turf playing fields and are within walking distance City of Kitchener athletic facilities providing our varsity athletes and PHE classes with excellent competition venues. The school is also connected to the Country Hills Branch of the Kitchener Public Library, providing our students to exceptional access to learning resources. Our 21st Century learning resources include Brightlight interactive data projectors in all teaching spaces, student accessible wifi coverage throughout the school and a 3:1 student Chromebook ratio.
Rooted in Faith, Learning in Love, Dedicated to Excellence