///St. Teresa – Kitchener Overview
St. Teresa – Kitchener Overview 2017-07-24T16:46:47+00:00

St. Teresa – Kitchener Overview

“A Tradition of Learning and Living in the Spirit of Christ”

St. Teresa Catholic Elementary School, located near downtown Kitchener and next door to St. Teresa Church, was built in 1953 with seven classrooms and celebrated its 50th anniversary on September 28, 2003 with a re-dedication of the school by the Most Reverend Bishop Matthew Ustrzycki.

As the local neighbourhood grew, so too did St. Teresa – resulting in additions to the school in 1955, 1957, 1960 and 1968. In the summer of 2011, the school underwent extensive renovations.

In the mid-1970’s the school’s enrolment began to decline and between 1976 and 1992 the building housed both the English speaking students at St. Teresa Catholic School, and the French speaking students of Cardinal Leger Catholic School. Following construction of the new Cardinal Leger French language school,  the French speaking students moved while students from the newly-closed Sacred heart Catholic Elementary School moved in.

Following the moves the population at St Teresa ballooned to more than 500 students and the school was graced with a wide diversity of cultures and language groups.

Today, St. Teresa has an enrolment of approximately 200 students from JK to Grade 8 and we were proud in 2011 to begin offering all day/every day Kindergarten classes.

The school staff is made up of one Special Education teacher, one Child & Youth Care Worker, one French teacher, several planning time teachers, and ten JK-Grade 8 teachers. There are also seven educational assistants, two custodians, a half-time library technician, two lunch hour supervisors and one administrative assistant.

St. Teresa Catholic School is blessed with an active School Council which meets regularly and is instrumental in providing activities and resources to enrich the learning environment of the students. Our school community  provides a great deal of support through an active volunteer program that includes classroom support, supervisors, drivers and special activity involvement such as a Christmas craft sale, school BBQ in June, Pancake Day on Shrove Tuesday, Christmas Craft Extravaganza as well as a major fundraiser every fall. School Council also provides funds to support sacramental programs, a variety of co-curricular and extra activities, and literacy/numeracy initiatives. School Council was the major sponsor of the school yard renewal and greening of the school with new running tracks, fitness equipment, numerous trees and finally an outdoor classroom.

The school provides programs such as Strong Start, Empower Reading and Corrective Reading for students who struggle in literacy. We also provide a snack program for students in the mornings. In 2010 a room was renovated under a grant from Children’s Mental Health to double as a wellness room for students and a parent community room. The school has hosted a Mission Day for more than thirty years raising thousands of dollars each year for local and international charities.

Participating in many Social Justice initiatives are a big part of who we are at St. Teresa School; our Catholic faith in action. In the past few years, St. Teresa’s loyal Social Justice Club has accomplished many local and world-wide achievements. The Social Justice Group would like you to know they are involved in leading the following efforts:

  • We donated Toothbrushes and Toothpaste to Emergency Shelters at Christmas.
  • We organized the Christmas food drive for the St. Vincent de Paul Society.
  • We support WE Schools-Education in third world countries using various fundraisers.
  • We collect batteries to donate to Free the Children for the zinc supplements for diets in developing countries.
  • We bought livestock for families in developing countries.
  • We donated hats, mittens, and scarves for needy families at Christmas.
  • We donated new and used sports equipment to the Wabaseemoong First Nations Reserve in Northern Ontario.
  • We donated soap, salt, and socks for Canadian Food for Children.
  • We sold hot chocolate at our school and donated the money to McMaster Children’s Hospital and Ronald McDonald House in memory of a former student.
  • Our school participated in the “Vow of Silence” Day to recognize children’s rights which are not recognized in every country.
  • We saved our pennies for a penny drive to donate for clean water in Africa.
  • We saved our Hard Candy to stimulate the saliva of hospital patients overseas.

Notable graduates include Derek Nakluski who in 2011 became the first Canadian to win the Around the Bay Road Race Marathon (Hamilton) since 1966. Other notable graduates are Bryan and Garry Mahn (retired  Superintendent and Principal),  Mr. Justice Patrick Flynn; Rev. Toby Collins; and Rev. Paul Massel.

Together, our home, school and parish communities are committed to assisting students with their life-long learning experiences. We are proud Tigers!