Literacy & Basic Skills Instructor – Numeracy Upgrading
(St. Louis Adult Learning & Continuing Education)
Applications for the position of Temporary Literacy and Basic Skills (LBS) Instructor are being accepted by the Core Essentials Program (CorE) at St. Louis Adult Learning and Continuing Education Centres. This is a Literacy and Basic Skills program funded by Employment Ontario’s Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development. This is a Numeracy Upgrading program.
A post-secondary degree or diploma
- Experience teaching adults and a demonstrated ability to relate to a wide variety of adult learners
- Excellent written/oral communications and math skills at the grade 10 academic level
- Ability to adjust instructional style for working one-on-one with learners with various learning styles and needs
- Computer skills: working knowledge of Word, Excel, Outlook, and Explorer (Power Point, an asset)
- Teacher of Adults – Literacy Educator Certificate recommended
- Knowledge of Literacy and Basic Skills Program Guidelines and Essential Skills
- Understanding of and demonstrated use of andragogical principles in the adult learning environment
- Familiarity with the Ontario Adult Literacy Curriculum Framework (OALCF)
- Responsible, enthusiastic, and positive, with an ability to work as a team and adapt to a changing environment.
- Planning and delivering numeracy training to adult learners
- Developing a customized learner plan in co-operation with each learner and in accordance to LBS Program Guidelines; updating and adjusting this plan according to the learner goals, abilities and interests
- Tracking and assessing learner progress using a variety of assessment methods and tools appropriate to the adult learning environment
- Completing and submitting all statistical information and attendance records
- Supporting learners during next-step transitions
- Attending CorE staff meetings and professional development opportunities
SCHEDULE: This position is for a class scheduled at the Kitchener campus on Fridays from 8:45 to 11:45 am and 12:30 to 3:00 pm (5.5 hours per week). The program runs from September to the end of June. This position is available beginning October, 2017.
APPLICATION: If you possess the skills, qualifications and personal attributes listed above and wish to be considered for this position, please send a covering letter and a complete resume as well as documentation to support the qualifications identified, to the undersigned, no later than 4:00 p.m. October 26, 2017. Ensure that you include the posting number in the email subject line or on the outside of the envelope.
(POSTING # CE-2017-22) Amanda McCraw St. Louis Adult Learning Centres 80 Young Street, Kitchener, ON N2H 4Z1 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please use one method of application only. Although we thank all applicants, only those granted interviews will be contacted. Successful candidates will be required to provide a satisfactory criminal background check. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at(519) 578-3677, ext. 2368 to provide your contact information.