Job Posting SS- 2018-04
Summer Boost is a program for Grades 1-6 students who would benefit from additional time and support to develop skills necessary to be successful and comfortable in the grades to follow. This educational program focuses on a consolidation of foundational Literacy and Numeracy skills. Students will also be introduced to Robotics as a learning tool and as a way of engaging students in discovery and inquiry-based learning.
The mentor will integrate 21st Century technologies into the Summer Boost program by creating a series of robotic programming and building challenges for students in Grade 1 – 6. They will work in collaboration with the Summer Boost admin team and classroom teachers to determine the appropriate breadth and scope of projects based on students needs, abilities and interests.
- use of the Robotic resources to support mathematics and literacy learning;
- structuring opportunities outside the instructional program for students to utilize Robotics as an activity;
- integrating Robotics into the instructional program as a strategy to engage students and support inquiry based learning;
- creating small group learning for summer learning students with the assistance of the mentor/student;
- offering sessions for teacher professional learning with the mentor/student;
- providing an opportunity for parents of summer learning students to be engaged in as Robotics activity with the support of the mentor/student
- To assist with Summer Boost video presentation to stakeholders highlighting how robotics was integrated
- Enjoys working with children
- Familiarity with Hour of Code and Scratch programming languages
- Comfortable navigating the web to download applications using Ipads and Chromebooks within the Google environment
- Working knowledge of the EV3 lego kits (assembly and programming)
- Lifelong learner who works well independency creating challenges and can facilitate learning will younger students and willing to learn about 3D printing and drones
- Robotics Mentor Selection: First week of June
- The Summer Boost Program will run from July 3rd to July 20st , 2018 from 8:30am – 12:30 pm Monday to Friday inclusive at all sites expect for St. Dominic and St. John which are 8:30 – 2:00 pm
- Duties include pre-summer organization, on-site supervision for the 14 days, and post summer wrap-up
- Kitchener/Waterloo or Cambridge
- The program will run at various locations throughout the region including Our Lady of Lourdes, St. Agnes, St. John, Monsignor Haller, St. Dominic, Holy Spirit and Christ the King
- Current Continuing Education rate ($17.00) X 60 – 70 hours
The preferred candidate will:
- Be a senior student as of September 2018 or Gr. 12 entering college/university or currently enrolled in a post-secondary institution.
- Provide the names of one (1) individual who can provide a current professional reference as well as a resume
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter.
Applicants must attach diplomas/certificates required for this position to the resume in order to be considered a candidate for the position.
Applications will be received via email at email@example.com. for external applicants Please include your first name, last name and posting number (provided above) in the subject line. Further information on the application process can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
Applications will be accepted until June 13 , 2018 at 12:00 pm
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is welcoming of candidates from diverse communities, backgrounds and identities and encourages applications from qualified members of these groups.
Applicants are invited to self-identify if you are First Nations, Metis, Inuit, a member of a visible minority group(s) or a person with disabilities in your submission.
If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check.
For further information refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.