The focus of mathematics teaching and learning is to develop students’ abilities in these key areas:
- Conceptual Understanding
- Procedural Fluency
We offer multiple opportunities for math enrichment through our school math leagues, contest writing, enriched & AP course opportunities at our high schools, and our Secondary High Skills Major programs.
Ministry Of Education – Curriculum Documents
- Grades 9 and 10: Mathematics, 2005
- Locally Developed Compulsory Credit Courses: Grade 9 and 10 Mathematics, 2005
- Grades 11 and 12: Mathematics, 2007
Grade 12 Courses and Post-Secondary Destinations
MCV4U – Calculus and Vectors
- university math, engineering, economics, science, computer science, some business programs,education – secondary math
MHF4U – Advanced Functions
- university kinesiology, social sciences programs, some math, health science, some business interdisciplinary, education – elementary math
MDM4U – Math of Data Management
- some university applied linguistics, social sciences, child and youth studies, psychology, accounting, finance, business, forestry, science, arts
MCT4C – Math for College Technology
- college biotechnology, engineering technology, some technician programs
MAP4C – College Math
- general arts & science, business, human resources, some technician and health science programs
MEL4E – Math for Work and Everyday Life
- steamfitters, pipefitters, sheet metal worker, cabinetmakers, carpenters, foundry workers, construction millwrights, some mechanics
Canadian Math League (see specific school site for details)
For contest materials please visit: http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/contests/contests.html
Drop-In Tutoring Locations
Frontier College University Tutors
FREE TUTORIAL CENTRE
Wednesdays 2:20-4:00 pm.
St. David’s Secondary School
4 High Street, Waterloo
Student Success Room (229)
Call: Gary Boland 519-885-1340 ext 127
Tutors are a group of student tutors from Frontier College, committed to education advocacy. We strive to encourage area youth continually to better themselves through education.
Tutors Beyond Borders
A service from University of Waterloo
EQAO Math Assessment is administered in grade 9. It contributes towards 10% of a student’s grade in both the Applied and the Academic courses.
In addition to preparatory work throughout each grade 9 course, students write a Mock EQAO which helps to identify content areas for review and remediation.
Here are some recommended sites:
- A free online graphing tool
- Online Interactive Learning Activities developed by the ministry of education
- An online search engine that provides accurate answers to mathematical (or other) queries