BAS Technician (REPOST)
Job Posting: PASS 2022-37
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board serves over 38,000 learners and provides services to students in 50 schools (Kindergarten to Grade 12 and adult learners) across the Waterloo Region.
The Board conducts intentional recruitment and selection as it seeks to achieve a state of greater equity for employees and students and to diversify its workforce.
All qualified applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply and applicants may choose to indicate if they are from a group who has experienced racial or social discrimination. Self-identification data will be used as a consideration in this posting. Aggregate data will be stored anonymously to support improvements to the Board’s hiring processes.
General Description of Duties:
- Responsible for the day-to-day operation of the building automation system and related controls.
- Assume lead role in the on-going monitoring of HVAC control systems including trouble shooting and adjusting of schedules in all Board locations
- Provide comprehensive energy management and building automation system administration and service support in accordance with policies and procedures, relevant regulations, codes and best practices.
- Liaising directly with internal and external contacts, is responsible for the energy efficient operation of building systems to ensure BAS access for maintenance and custodial staff.
- Investigate and respond to occupant comfort issues and HVAC equipment operational issues.
- Oversee control system diagnostics for integrity of system operation and troubleshooting malfunctions and provide plausible solutions to ensure the system is functioning to the highest standards.
- Prepare work orders for repair of equipment.
- Provide technical expertise. Suggest and implement energy conservation initiatives.
- Complete electrical and mechanical assessments of existing equipment at school facilities on a regular basis and inspect utility monitoring devices.
- Provide technical input to the solution of maintenance problems, material standards, purchase of new equipment and to capital projects.
- Assist in managing of capital projects related to BAS and HVAC upgrades.
- Inspect and report on BAS equipment condition and provide input on upgrades of equipment.
- Assist in the preparation of cost estimates for the annual maintenance and utility budget.
- Provide input and feedback in the development and implementation of the Board wide energy conservation program and participate in all board wide sustainability activities.
- Provide building automation training and operational support to Board staff.
- Participate in training sessions to develop relevant knowledge, techniques, and skills.
- Work collaboratively with Facility Services staff to ensure all buildings are operating efficiently as possible and utility costs are minimized.
- Part of Facility Services on call rotation handling after hour emergencies.
- Valid driver’s license and personal vehicle.
- Education and Experience
- College Diploma in one of the listed fields – Certified Engineer Manager (CEM), Certified Engineer Technician (CET), Certified Engineering Designation as a Technician or Technologist (CETT); Certified Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic (313A) or have a two/three-year community college program certificate or diploma in building automation.
- Three years relevant experience working with commercial heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems and building automation systems.
- Or a combination of equivalent education and experience requirements
- Technical knowledge of building systems, energy efficient programs, renewable energy.
- Excellent leadership skills including written and oral communication and the ability to work successfully within structured timelines and budgets.
- Ability to read and interpret building plans and maintenance manuals (heating, ventilations, electrical drawings, etc.)
- Proficient use of Microsoft programs including – Excel (pivot tables, graphing, statistical analysis, forecasting), Word and PowerPoint. Knowledge of CAD systems.
- Extensive knowledge of HVAC systems, air handling units, variable-frequency drives (VFD), hot water boilers and heat recovery units.
- Sound knowledge of building automation systems software – specifically TA/Honeywell/Distech equipment.
- Good knowledge of Ontario Building Codes, Ontario Fire Codes, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Municipal and City by-laws.
- Strong organizational leadership skills, written and oral communication skills and the ability to work within firm timelines and budgets.
- Ability to read plans, specifications, control schematics, blueprints and manufacture’s manuals.
- A valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
Salary Range: PASS – Level 4, $63,606.00 – $74,829.00
Hours of Work: Permanent full time; 35 hours per week
Location(s): WCDSB Facility Services Dept., 480 Dutton Drive, Waterloo
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter. Please see the Application Process below.
Applicants must attach diplomas/certificates required for this position to the resume in order to be considered a candidate for the position.
Applicants are required to apply directly through Apply to Education at: https://wcdsb.simplication.com
Applytoeducation assistance, contact 1-877-900-5627 (Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 7:00 pm EST.)
In the application process, identify your qualifications and abilities, such as relevant experience to perform the duties of this job. Include your resume, covering letter and diplomas/certificates in your application.
Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Detailed information on the application process can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
Applications will be accepted until August 19, 2022
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
To request this file in large print, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check. For further information refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.