1. Is there an application deadline?

Applications must be received before the end of June for a September start and before the end of December for a February start. Admission intake at other times of the year can be arranged. However, to receive secondary school credits a predetermined number of hours is Ministry of Education course requirement.

2. Can an international student start school anytime during the school year?

For Secondary school, classes start at the beginning of September and the beginning of February. New students are asked to arrive one-two weeks prior to the beginning of school to complete their English-Second-Language assessment and transcript review. Programming for Secondary students who enroll midway through a semester will focus on English language development, language in content areas.

3. How do I make payment to the school board?

Local payment can be made in over 50+ currencies by visiting:https://www.northstarcurrency.com/wcs

4. How long does it take to get the letter of acceptance from the school board?

Once the fees are paid in full, the application is process and LOA is generated. In most cases, application processing takes one week and then the LOA is couriered to the recipient.

5. How do I apply for a Study Permit?

Please visit the Citizenship and Immigration Canada web site for Study Permit application information and processing times for your country.http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/index.asp

6. Is a parent required to live in Waterloo Region while their child studies?

Secondary school students only require a legal custodian living in Waterloo Region. Students in Grades 7-8 will also require a legal custodian and in most cases a blood relative. If the child is in Elementary school, Grades JK-6, he/she must live with a blood relative.

7. Can home stay accommodation be arranged?

The School Board’s International Education Services can assist with the home stay accommodations if your child is between 14 – 19 years of age.

8. How are host families selected?

Families who are interested in sharing a Canadian life experience with an international student are selected as host families. They are committed to including the international student in all family activities and must adhere to the following:

  • A thorough interview and a home inspection
  • A police record check for all adults over the age of 18 living in the home.

9. What is the cost for a home stay for an international student?

The typical home stay fee for your child to stay with a family is $850/month or $30/day. This will include three meals a day, a private bedroom with study area for the student and supervised internet access.

10. Who can I choose as a custodian for an international student?

The school board offers this service. A custodian should be at least 21 years of age and must be a permanent Canadian resident or blood relative.Please use caution in choosing a custodian. The custodian should be someone who has the best interests of your child in mind, can speak English fluently, and lives in the Waterloo Region.

11. Custodianship & Program Coordination Services.

The best interest of our students is always our first priority. The school board provides legal guardianship and coordinates all required student services, including home stays.

12. Can the school board guarantee admission to a university or college?

No school board can guarantee admission to a reputable university or college. However, some school boards, including the Waterloo Catholic District School Board, have formal agreements that ensure that qualified Visa students receive preferential status when applying. WCDSB has formal agreements with a number of post-Secondary institutions, including the University of Waterloo, St. Jerome’s University, Wilfrid Laurier University, and Conestoga College.

1. Do you offer short term stays?

Short term stays benefit students greatly from a cultural experience and opportunity to build English language proficiency. Waterloo Catholic District School Board (WCDSB) is currently working with agents from various countries to establish both winter and summer programs.

2. Do you offer cultural experiences for individual secondary students during the school year?

Yes. Students can participate fully in school life and will receive a certificate of participation. However, students on a visitor visa will not receive credits for courses.

3. What is the tuition cost for a student on short term stay?

Fees are determined on an individual agency/school basis, based on the needs and expectations of the request.Currently, short term groups are coordinated through agencies and source country principals.

Parents/Students/Agents – Need To Know More…

  • If you are working with an agent, they will be able to follow up with the school board and partners to attain any information that you require on your behalf.
  • If you would like to have your questions addressed directly, please make inquiries through the school board website: www.wcdsb.ca or email: info@wcdsb.ca.