CUPE Local 2512 October 3, 2018
Itinerant Personal Support Workers [Part-time] – Level 4
Opportunity Bulletin #OB-2018-11
(Seniority is not a determining factor)
The Personal Support Worker (PSW) will enhance support and provide care to students with health-related, physical, mobility, and toileting needs in all schools in the Waterloo Catholic DSB. In addition, a PSW will support students with alternative expectations and occupational, physical and communication goals. The PSW will assist with the understanding and management of challenging behavior associated with cognitive impairment. The Senior Manager of Learning Services will work with school Administrators to identify where the role of a PSW may enhance the support to students with special needs at a school.
This assignment is itinerant meaning the work location will vary based on student needs from year to year.
General Description of Duties:
- Provide identified students with support as recommended by occupational, physical, and communication therapists.
- Transfer and lift students using appropriate and safe techniques and devices to allow for toileting, changing, repositioning and dressing.
- Assist students with mobility as required.
- Assist in the operation of specialized equipment.
- Assist in occupational and physiotherapy strategies as directed by school personnel in consultation with School Health Services.
- Assist with the implementation of Behaviour Support Plans under the direction of the Classroom teacher, Special Education teacher or School Administrator.
- Personal Support Worker (PSW) certificate.
- Developmental Services Worker diploma will be accepted.
- Related work experience with children with special needs.
- BMS (Behaviour Management System) training is an asset.
- A reliable vehicle and a valid Ontario driver’s license as travel throughout the Waterloo Region will be required.
Hourly Rate: $23.46 to $24.83 per hour
Hours of Work: Permanent Part-time, 16.25 hours per week
Work schedules outlined below
Locations For 2018-2019:
Holy Family CES, New Hamburg, ON 7:00 am – 10:15 am
Holy Spirit CES, Cambridge, ON 7:00 am – 10:15 am
Holy Spirit CES, Cambridge, ON 2:45 pm – 6:00 pm
St. Gabriel CES, Cambridge, ON 7:00 am – 10:15 am
St. Peter CES, Cambridge, ON 2:45 pm – 6:00 pm
St. Teresa CES, Elmira, ON 2:45 pm – 6:00 pm
Weeks/Year: Approx. 41 weeks/year
Effective Date: As soon as possible
Qualified and interested applicants are requested to submit a written application and/or resume outlining their specific qualifications and ability to do this job. Diplomas/Certificates required for this position must also be attached to your written application in order to be considered as a candidate. If you have been deemed qualified because of your current position, this documentation is not necessary. Please indicate in your cover letter which locations noted above you are interested in.
Applications will be accepted up until 4:00 pm on October 12, 2018.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
Please include your first and last name and the posting number (provided above) in the subject line. Further information on the application process can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is welcoming of candidates from diverse communities, backgrounds and identities and encourages applications from qualified members of these groups.
Applicants are invited to self-identify if you are First Nations, Metis, Inuit, a member of a visible minority group(s) or a person with disabilities. This information is collected under the authority of the Ontario Human Rights Code and will be used to keep track of recruitment information. No personal information will be included.
To request this file in large print, please email email@example.com. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check. For further information refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.