The Board wishes to support a more diverse workforce. All qualified applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply and applicants may choose to indicate if they are from a group who has experienced racial or social discrimination. Self-identification data will be used as a consideration in this posting. Aggregate data will be stored anonymously to support improvements to the Board’s hiring processes.
International Languages Secondary School Credit Teacher – Simplified Chinese Language Course Codes: LKB BD, LKB CU, LKBDU
St. Louis Adult Learning and Continuing Education Centre
Posting Number: AC-2022-176
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board serves over 38,000 learners and provides services to students in 50 schools (Kindergarten to Grade 12 and adult learners) across the Waterloo Region.
The Board conducts intentional recruitment and selection as it seeks to achieve a state of greater equity for employees and students and to diversify its workforce.
All qualified applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply and applicants may choose to indicate if they are from a group who has experienced racial or social discrimination. Self-identification data will be used as a consideration in this posting. Aggregate data will be stored anonymously to support improvements to the Board’s hiring processes.
General Description of Duties:
- Deliver the secondary school international language curriculum in a classroom or virtual, face to face setting (depending on public health direction) – Chinese
- Developing course materials and curriculum content in accordance with the Ministry of Education Curriculum document for International Languages gr. 9-12: http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/curriculum/secondary/classiclang912curr.pdf and ensure proper planning and follow up for the academic progress of all students
- Identifying students’ individual learning needs and using a variety of instructional strategies including small group, individual, whole class, and co-operative learning experiences
- Evaluating the progress of students and discussing results with students and parents
- Creating annual reports of students’ performance and challenges, with recommendations for improvement
- Ensuring a safe academic environment conducive to learning in class and online
- Promoting positive attitudes towards, and encouraging enthusiasm for language learning
- Participating in staff meetings, educational conferences, instructor training workshops, and extracurricular cultural events and activities
- Utilize Virtual Platforms in the online teaching, if necessary, with the Google brand (specifically Meet, Docs, Slides, Forms), YouTube videos
- Create a lesson from a PowerPoint or Google slide show, add voice if you wish to send the file to students.
- Utilize Google Meets to deliver the teaching of reading story/literature, demonstration/writing, reading aloud and conversation with the students
- Engage students in communicative, real life, task-based language activities which emphasize the 3 strands of oral, reading and writing
- Hold a current Ontario College of Teachers Certificate of Qualification (If no candidates with an OCT apply, other candidates will be considered)
- Intermediate & Senior teaching qualifications in the credit language
- Demonstrable evidence of instructing in the credit language –Chinese
- A certification in language instruction from an accredited College or University would be an asset
- Certified rate $45.34 per hour plus Stat and Vacation Pay
- Uncertified rate $34.88 per hour, plus Stat and Vacation Pay
Hours of Work: September 24, 2022 – June 17, 2023 Saturdays 9:30 am to 12:30 pm
Location: Resurrection Secondary School
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter. Please see the Application Process below.
Applicants are required to apply directly through Apply to Education at: https://wcdsb.simplication.com
Applytoeducation assistance, contact 1-877-900-5627 (Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 7:00 pm EST.)
In the application process, identify your qualifications and abilities, such as relevant experience to perform the duties of this job. Include your resume, covering letter and diplomas/certificates in your application.
Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Detailed information on the application process can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
Applications will be accepted until September 1, 2022 @ 4pm.
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
To request this file in large print, please email email@example.com. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check. For further information refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic School Board