Job Posting Number: UNIFOR 2021-04
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board serves over 30,000 learners and provides services to students in 50 schools (Kindergarten to Grade 12 and adult learners) across the Waterloo Region.
The Board conducts intentional recruitment and selection as it seeks to achieve a state of greater equity for employees and students and to diversify its workforce.
All qualified applicants are welcome and encouraged to apply and applicants may choose to indicate if they are from a group who has experienced racial or social discrimination. Self-identification data will be used as a consideration in this posting. Aggregate data will be stored anonymously to support improvements to the Board’s hiring processes.
General Description of Duties:
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is accepting applications for the position of Facilities Maintenance Mechanic. Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor, the Facilities Maintenance Mechanic is responsible for the regular inspection and maintenance of mechanical systems at Board secondary schools.
- Monitor and maintain building equipment and systems including electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and minor HVAC equipment repairs as permitted by Provincial legislation
- Complete regulatory fire and life safety inspections at schools where required including fire suppression systems and inspect, test, and verify emergency power and lighting systems, etc. and complete all necessary logs
- Maintenance of heating and cooling systems, including monitoring of low pressure in boiler lines and water temperatures, greasing, and lubricating pumps, changing belts, changing filters and upkeep of the water treatment system (where required).
- Maintenance and repairs of electrical equipment, generators, and pumps. Replacement of ballasts, restarting rooftop HVAC, motor, and pump replacement
- Monitor and adjust building automation systems
- Monitoring of glycol system
- Repair custodial equipment including vacuums, buffers, floors machines, etc.
- Other general maintenance responsibilities as required.
- General cleanliness of mechanical/electrical rooms.
- Abide by applicable laws and policies with respect to access, use, or disclosure of student and Board data and information.
- At minimum, the successful candidate will possess a high school diploma or equivalent and one of the following certificates or trade licence, 4th class Operating Engineer, Facility Maintenance Mechanic 255W, Facility System Technician 255B or an Industrial Millwright with a valid 433A licence
- Minimum three-year experience in a related role
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and schematics
- Ability to meet the demands of physical labour, including frequent climbing, lifting, kneeling, carrying, standing, and driving.
- Capability to work at various height levels including rooftops, from ladders and in skyjacks and able to work in disagreeable environmental conditions and congested work spaces
- Hands on knowledge of basic power tools – power drills, etc.
- Demonstrated proficiency with MS Office and work order systems
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work with minimum supervision, engaging in sound time-management practices
- Valid driver’s license with a clean abstract required
- Knowledge of applicable TSSA regulations, Canadian Standards Association, Occupational Health and Safety, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS)
- Gas Fitter 2 would be considered an asset
Salary Range: UNIFOR Rate of Pay: $27.46 per hour in accordance with the UNIFOR Collective Agreement, plus full benefit package and OMERS Pension Plan
Hours of Work: Permanent full time: 40 hours per week / 52 weeks per year
Location(s): Various Secondary schools
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter. Please see the Application Process below.
Applicants must attach diplomas/certificates required for this position to the resume in order to be considered a candidate for the position.
Applicants are required to apply directly through Apply to Education at: https://wcdsb.simplication.com
Applytoeducation assistance, contact 1-877-900-5627 (Monday – Friday, 7:30 am – 7:00 pm EST.)
In the application process, identify your qualifications and abilities, such as relevant experience to perform the duties of this job. Include your resume, covering letter and diplomas/certificates in your application.
Incomplete applications may not be considered.
Detailed information on the application process can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/
Applications will be accepted until October 4, 2021 at 4 p.m..
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
To request this file in large print, please email email@example.com. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check. For further information refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.