The Waterloo Catholic District School Board has had an Audit Committee, as required by the Ministry of Education since 2009. The mandate of the Committee is to ensure compliance with the Education Act (253.1( 1)) and Ontario Regulation (361/10), and to provide independent oversight for the Board of Trustees in the areas of financial reporting, external audit, risk management, internal controls, and compliance matters.
The Audit Committee is comprised of 3 Trustees (appointed by the Chair of the Board of Trustees) and 2 external community members who are appointed by the Board of Trustees based on a selection process. The Director of Education, Chief Financial Officer and Internal Audit Officer attend all meetings, as well as others as required.
The Board requires 1 external community representative with a high level of financial and business knowledge to serve on their Audit Committee.
This is a volunteer position. The committee meets five (5) times per year, plus ad hoc meetings as required. Meetings are usually held Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evenings in September, November, January, March and June.
- Must support the values of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board
- Must hold a Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) designation in good standing
- Must not be an employee or officer of the Board or any other school board in Ontario
- Must not be employed by the Board’s current external auditor (PwC)
- Must not have a parent, child, or spouse employed by, or be an officer of, the Board
- Must be a resident of the Region of Waterloo
- Financial expertise in the area of publicly funded school boards would be an asset
- The term will be a 3 year appointment commencing on September 28, 2021. An external community member can serve for a maximum of two terms.
Submission of Applications:
Eligible external community members interested in serving on the Board’s Audit Committee must submit a resume and a letter of application outlining qualifications and experience by 4:30 PM on August 20, 2021 to:
Waterloo Catholic District School Board