UPE Local 2512
Learning Services – Special Education Department, Catholic Education Centre, Kitchener, ON
(Seniority is a determining factor)
The Communicative Disorders Assistant assists the Speech-Language Pathologist (SPL) in the delivery of programs and services to students with communication disorders. The supervising SLP will determine the students with whom the Communicative Disorders Assistant will work, including student admission/demission, program goals, and intervention strategies.
- Abide by the Board’s Professional Standards of Ethics and adhere to all Board policies and procedures.
- Strive for continual improvement.
- Have a sound knowledge of all areas of responsibility.
- Be accountable for your actions.
- Promote a team environment.
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
Under the direction and supervision of the SLP, Communicative Disorders Assistants may:
- Implement individual/group programs.
- Assist during assessment by-eliciting and/or collecting language samples, note taking, demonstrating test expectations, collecting demographic information, scoring of assessment results (without interpretation), transcription of recorded speech samples.
- Conduct various screens using established screening protocols without interpretation.
- Prepare materials and resources for individual programs.
- Maintain concise, accurate documentation.
- Assist SLP’s with in-services and other system-wide activities.
- Must have completed the Communicative Disorders Assistant Diploma.
- Must be a member of the Communicative Disorders Assistant Association of Canada (CDAAC).
- Follow all requirements and procedures set by Speech and Language Services with respect to documentation of activities, reporting and communication.
- Maintain ongoing professional development by attending all scheduled in-services and training sessions required by Speech and Language Services.
- Maintain regular contact with the supervising SLP regarding all aspects of programs and services.
- Respect and maintain confidentiality.
- Manage time effectively to maximize student contact time while meeting requirements for record-keeping and preparation.
- Strive to provide the best possible learning environment for student sessions.
- Prepare and collect materials based on program plans developed by the SLP.
- Have a reliable vehicle and a valid Ontario driver’s license as travel throughout the Waterloo Region is required.
Hourly Rate: $23.46 to $24.83 per hour
Hours of Work: Permanent Full-Time, 35 hours per week
Work schedule determined by the supervisor
Weeks/Year: Approx. 41 weeks/year
Start Date: September 4, 2018
Qualified and interested applicants are requested to submit a written application and/or resume outlining their specific qualifications and ability to do this job. Diplomas/Certificates required for this position must also be attached to your written application in order to be considered as a candidate. If you have been deemed qualified because of your current position, this documentation is not necessary. Please identify in your cover letter which area(s) you would be interested in servicing.
Internal applications will be received via email at firstname.lastname@example.org and external applications will be received via email at email@example.com. Please include your first and last name and the posting number (provided above) in the subject line. Further information on the application process can be found at: https://www.wcdsb.ca/careers/how-to-apply/.
Applications will be received up until 4:00 pm on June 11, 2018.
Only those candidates considered for the positions will be notified.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is welcoming of candidates from diverse communities, backgrounds and identities and encourages applications from qualified members of these groups.
To request this file in large print, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Criminal Background Check. For further information, refer to policy APS 038 on the website of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board.