Early Childhood Educator
- Abide by the Board’s Professional Standards of Ethics and adhere to all Board policies and procedures;
- Strive for continual improvement;
- Have a sound knowledge of all areas of responsibility;
- Be accountable for your actions;
- Promote a team environment.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Partner with the classroom teacher to plan and implement the early learning kindergarten program through developmentally appropriate curriculum-based activities;
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher and special education teacher to carry out specialized activities to support learning for children requiring an Individual Education Plan (IEP);
- Collaborate with the classroom teacher and other designated staff to support students’ identified needs, strengths, interests and stages of development;
- Collaborate and maintain set-up of classroom (e.g. display, organization of materials etc.);
- Collaborate with extended day team to implement a developmentally appropriate curriculum based on the FDK extended day document.
- Observe, monitor and assess the development of pupils in JK/K and extended day program;
- Maintain a healthy and safe physical, emotional and social learning environment for students;
- Provide a variety of experiences to strengthen self-regulation and pro-social skills such as sharing, problem solving and cooperation
- Provide guidance in washroom routines, dressing and lunchtime activities;
- Maintain appropriate records for students (e.g. health, attendance, etc.) respecting confidentiality and adhering to all privacy legislation;
- Where applicable, attend staff meetings, appropriate school-level meetings and professional development activities;
- Perform related administrative functions as required such as attendance and billing in the extended day program;
- Complete any duties as assigned by principal.
- A two year community college Early Childhood Education Diploma with experience in a childcare or educational setting;
- Member in Good Standing with the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators;
- Knowledge of Ministry of Education full day early learning kindergarten program;
- Experience in planning and implementing age appropriate programs;
- Basic computer competency;
- Knowledge of related legislation and pertinent Board policies and directives such as, but not limited to Administration of Medication and/or Special Services
- Ability to stand/walk for extended periods and move/carry equipment for program; and must be able to physically assist children as required (e.g. lifting).
- Ability to communicate in a professional manner with children, parents, staff and the general public;
- Proven ability to follow organizational policies and procedures in an appropriate and timely manner.