After-School Program Facilitator – Short Term International Students
As part of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board (WCDSB) initiative to develop global citizenship programs, our schools will welcome and host international education student groups. The students will attend the WCDSB’s elementary and secondary schools during regular instruction hours. They will also participate in After-School Programs during their stay in Kitchener and Waterloo. Groups of international students from Colombia will be part of the global citizen initiative during the spring of 2018 for a period of four (4) weeks.
The After-School Program is an important component of the program as it engages students in cultural activities, sports and games. The activities will expose students to Canadian culture and school environment. During the After School Program, the students will receive support to complete homework and school projects assigned by the classroom teachers and/or the international accompanying educators. The After-School Programming will be provided by The Research Development Office (RDO).
RDO is currently recruiting facilitators, primarily occasional teachers, to lead and facilitate the After-School, and weekend program(s) for the international students. The After-School Program Facilitator will work in conjunction with the international educators to deliver this program.
FREQUENCY & DURATION
The After-School Program(s) will run from three (3) to five (5) days a week, Monday to Sunday – depending on the expectations of the specific group of international students: 3.0 hours per day (afternoon/evening).
In addition, weekend excursions on Saturday will be scheduled for approximately 8-10 hours (i.e. Niagara Falls, CN Tower). The option to rotate supervision of weekend excursions with another After-School Program Facilitator can be accommodated and coordinated through the RDO. Weekend excursions may require extra hours depending on the site/location.
- The After-School Program(s) will be delivered within WCDSB schools at least three (3) days a week with some activities taking place at a site/venue in the community (bowling, skating, museum, etc.) The off-site activities will be arranged by the RDO Program Coordinator.
- Every Saturday, After-School Program Facilitator(s) will accompany and supervise students during full day excursions to well-known Canadian venues such as: CN Tower, Niagara Falls, Canada’s Wonderland and others. Program Facilitator admission fees and a meal stipend will be paid by RDO.
The duties of the position will include, but are not limited to:
- Facilitating and monitoring the After-School Program delivered at school site;
- Leading, supervising and accompanying students during out-of-school excursions and programs;
- Ensuring students’ safety at all times during the After-School Program;
- Engaging and supporting students in completion of school projects;
- Reporting to RDO Program Coordinator on a weekly basis to review and assess the effectiveness of the program;
- Working in collaboration with international educators to fully engage students in the participation of the program.
- Occasional teachers
- Experience working with youth of diverse cultural backgrounds, preferably, English Language Learner (ELL) students
- Previous experience instructing athletic or sporting activities
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle
RATE OF PAY: $ 20.00/hr*
Weekly time sheets will be submitted to RDO for approval and submission to WCDSB payroll.
*Teachers’ Pension Plan (TPP) contributions will be deducted.
Note: The position of After-School Program Facilitator is not affiliated with OECTA and union dues are not deducted. Therefore, OECTA does not provide representation to teachers in this position.
START DATE: May 4-June 16, 2018
A pool of candidates will be selected for the After-School Program Facilitator.
If interested in applying to the position of After-School Program Facilitator, submit your resume by February 28, 2018 to:
Jessica Morales, Program Coordinator of International Education
Research & Development Office (RDO)
Catholic Education Center-School Board
Applications will be received until 4:00 pm.
If you require a disability related accommodation to participate in the recruitment process, please contact us at 519-578-3677, extension 2368 to provide your contact information.
The successful candidate will be required to produce a satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Criminal Background Check if not already employed by the Board