The Waterloo Catholic District School Board invites applications for the position of:
EXECUTIVE ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO DIRECTOR OF EDUCATION
(Full time, Permanent)
The Executive Administrative Assistant to the Director of Education will work in a highly confidential atmosphere providing support to the Director of Education, the Chair and Board of Trustees. The successful candidate will have responsibility for various duties including, but not limited to the following:
- Perform secretarial services for the Director of Education, including personal reception, scheduling and organizing meetings, appointments, conferences, etc., utilizing appropriate computer software, preparing agendas, correspondence and reports and draft, compose and prepare correspondence for and on behalf of the Director of Education, as appropriate.
- Provide administrative support to the Trustees as directed by the Director of Education, including receipt and distribution of correspondence, schedule meetings, prepare reports as required, prepare agenda packages and follow up correspondence for all meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Attend all Board meetings and under the direction of the Director of Education, record and prepare minutes, arrange the appropriate signature, proper documentation and safe-keeping of minutes and other official documents relating to the Board of Trustees.
- Advise appropriate Principals and Senior Administration of the Board decisions requiring departmental or school follow up and or action.
- Review correspondence and other inquiries within the office of the Director of Education. Ascertain critical issues, problem solve and expedite through appropriate department(s).
- Responsible for maintenance of select areas of the Waterloo Catholic District School Boards website, and coordinating special events on behalf of the Director’s Office.
- Maintain a schedule of projects and activities of the Office of the Director of Education. Follow up with senior administrators, schools, departments regarding status and development of projects and ensure timely completion.
- Liaise with Senior Administration regarding follow-up on reports, requests from trustees and the Director of Education.
- Preparation and oversight of several Director’s Office budgets.
- Act as a primary Board contact with the Ministry of Education, reviewing correspondence and email from the Ministry of Education and other related ministries and relaying pertinent information to appropriate officials within the Board, as directed.
- Respond to or direct inquiries from principals, secretaries, teachers and parents regarding Board and school policies and procedures pertaining to the Office of the Director of Education.
- Handle complaints, problem solve, provide solutions and walk through steps of procedures within responsibility and relay inquiries to appropriate administrative personnel.
- During the Director’s absence, use initiative and judgment to see that matters requiring immediate attention are handled in an efficient and appropriate manner.
- Research policies and other reports, including the research of information from other boards, the Ministry of Education, etc., as required and prepare summaries or reports.
- Review operating practices and implement improvements where necessary.
- Initiate and ensure the maintenance of ongoing Board records related to the Office of the Director of Education.
- Establish and maintain filing and retrieval system and initiate and ensure the maintenance of ongoing Board records related to the Office of the Director of Education.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by the Director of Education.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Successful completion of a two year post-secondary program in secretarial studies, business/administrative studies or office administration.
- A minimum of five years of experience in a senior secretarial capacity.
- Advanced abilities in a computerized environment utilizing Microsoft Office 365 (word, excel, power point) internet and email as well as scanners and other office equipment.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced office environment with excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to function effectively with trustees, administrators, managers, staff, parents, outside agencies and others.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, as well as strong interpersonal skills with a high degree of initiative, independence and good judgement.
- Ability to maintain a high level of discretion with confidential information.
- Demonstrated ability to handle difficult situations and recommend appropriate action.
- Working knowledge of Board policies and procedures.
- Working knowledge of relevant legislation (Education Act and Regulations) and board AP memorandums an asset.
- Ability to work evening hours.
- A complete up-to-date personal resume or curriculum vitae and covering letter
- Documentation to support the qualifications and assets identified above
SALARY RANGE: $56,279 – $66,209 per annum plus full benefits package and OMERS pension contribution. Placement on salary grid done in accordance with provisions outlined in the PASS (Professional and Administrative Support Staff Terms of Employment)
Interested applicants are invited to respond by Wednesday September 27th, 2017 at 4:00 p.m. with a detailed letter and resume, including supporting educational documents and three professional references and posting number in email subject line or on the front of envelope to:
Melissa Resmer, Human Resources Officer
Waterloo Catholic District School Board
35 Weber Street West, Kitchener, ON N2G 4G2
The successful candidate will be required to provide a current criminal record check for the vulnerable sector service as a condition of employment. The Board wishes to thank all applicants. Only those applicants interviewed will be contacted.
In accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, personal information is being collected under the authority of the Education Act and will be used for the employee recruitment and selection purposes. The board does have policies for accommodating employees with disabilities, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to provide your contact information