ATTENTION: WCDSB families and students who qualify for transportation through Student Transportation Services of Waterloo Region (STSWR):
This is an important update regarding the start-up of transportation services this September.
Student Transportation Services of Waterloo Region (STSWR) plans and contracts for transportation for WCDSB students who qualify for these services. The software used by STSWR to support their activities is hosted on servers managed by the Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB). WRDSB was recently the victim of a cyber attack which caused disruption to their information systems including STSWR’s software.
As a result of the disruption, route planning for schools in the Region was delayed.
With thanks to the staff at STSWR, the following services will be provided:
September 6, 2022 (First Day of School)
All full-size yellow school buses and taxis will run as expected.
September 12, 2022
All small yellow school buses and adapted vans will begin service on September 12, 2022.
For clarity, this includes the following routes:
- All bus routes from 700 to 723
- All bus routes from 800 to 862
- All bus routes from V01 to V39
- All bus routes from W01 to W45
September 19, 2022
Any student/family who changed their address in June, July, or August will have their transportation services begin on September 19, 2022.
Families can visit the STSWR website beginning on Monday, August 29, 2022 to find their students’ transportation route information.
Please contact Student Transportation Services of Waterloo Region (STSWR) at 519-744-7575 with any questions about this information.
Have a good rest of summer!
WCDSB welcomes Tyrone Dowling “back home” to Waterloo Catholic as New Director of Education.
The Board of Trustees of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board is pleased to announce the appointment of Tyrone Dowling as the new Director of Education and Secretary of the Board.
Tyrone replaces Director Loretta Notten, who is retiring after a long and distinguished career in Catholic education.
Tyrone has 29 years of experience as a Catholic educator, including 21 years of administrative experience with the Waterloo Catholic District School Board. He has been a Superintendent of Education with the Wellington Catholic District School Board for the past 2 years.
He is a faith-filled, authentic servant leader with a vast array of experience. Please join us in welcoming Tyrone “back home” to Waterloo Catholic!!
Quick Facts on Director Dowling:
- Holds a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Waterloo and a Master of Science in Education from Niagara University.
- Taught from 1995-1999 as an elementary school teacher with Waterloo Catholic.
- Led as a Principal at Waterloo Catholic from 1999 until 2020, where he served in several elementary schools in Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge. During that time Tyrone demonstrated his leadership in numerous school and system wide improvement initiatives. For example, the collective efforts of the Holy Rosary CES staff resulted in the Dr. Bette M. Stephenson Recognition of Achievement from the Education Quality and Accountability Office (EQAO) for the effective use of data to support instruction.
- Appointed Superintendent of Education at Wellington Catholic in 2020, where he led a variety of initiatives: the creation of Wellington Catholic Equity Committee, Wellington Catholic Equity Action Plan, Wellington Catholic Staff and Student Census projects and the Wellington Catholic Mental Health Strategy. He was honoured to be a member of the Indigenous Education Advisory Council.
Quote from the Chair of the Board:
“Tyrone Dowling was a highly respected administrator in our board for many years, inspiring and leading through his wisdom and faith. Welcoming him back now as our Director of Education is an honour and a privilege. During his tenure with Wellington CDSB, Tyrone played a key role in initiatives that are also at the forefront of Waterloo Catholic Strategic Plans. I know I speak for my fellow Trustees when I say we are confident that Tyrone is the Director we need to lead Waterloo Catholic on the path of a brighter future of quality, inclusive, faith-based education.”
~ Jeanne Gravelle, Chair of the Board of Trustees, WCDSB
Quote from Director Dowling:
“I am excited for the opportunity to return to Waterloo Catholic and look forward to working with our students, staff, families and greater community. Throughout my career, I have been privileged to see great things happen when teams work toward a shared goal, learn together and celebrate accomplishment. Our work as Catholic educators is amplified through our faith, commitment to equity and student success.”
~ Tyrone Dowling, Director of Education WCDSB
It’s Time to Sign Up for School!!
It’s time to sign up for the 2022-23 school year – and registering to attend one of Waterloo Region’s 43 Catholic elementary schools has never been easier.
- Children born in 2018 are eligible for Year 1 Kindergarten (JK).
- Children born in 2017 are eligible for Year 2 Kindergarten (SK).
To finalize your child’s registration, please contact your local Catholic school directly.
~~ When registering your child to attend a Catholic elementary school you must be prepared to provide proof of the child’s date of birth and either the child’s Catholic baptismal certificate or the Catholic baptismal certificate of at least one parent or guardian.
~~ If you are non-Catholic (including a non-Catholic newcomer to Canada), but wish to explore a Catholic education for your child(ren), please review the WCDSB Admissions to Catholic Elementary Schools policy. Our secondary schools are open to students of all faiths.
~~ A complete list of WCDSB schools that will offer the Extended Day Program in 2021-22 will be web-posted before the end of this current (2020-21) school year. Please call your school directly for information about the Extended Day Program. A complete list of WCDSB schools currently providing the program is available via this link: Extended Day Program.
~~ For information about French Immersion programs in Kitchener, Waterloo and Cambridge, please click here: French Immersion Registration Information.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board, representing more than 96,000 Catholic school supporters, operates 48 schools and five adult education facilities serving more than 40,000 elementary, secondary and continuing education students in Waterloo Region – continuing a 186-year tradition of quality, inclusive, faith-based education. Follow us on Twitter: @WCDSBNewswire – #WCDSBAwesome.