Job Posting Number PASS 2020-05
Reporting to the Executive Superintendent of Corporate Services, the Pension Officer is responsible for all pension related services of the Waterloo Catholic District School Board (WCDSB) including the timely and accurate deducting, remitting and reporting of employee pension contributions and service. The Pension Officer ensures that procedures and operational guidelines are followed and are compliant with the (PBA) Pension Benefits Act, OMERS (Ontario Municipal Employees Retirement System), OTPP (Ontario Teachers’ Pension Plan), CRA (Canada Revenue Agency), ESA (Employment Standards Act) and Collective Agreements and all appropriate legislation or regulations.
General Description of Duties
- Develop procedures and operational guidelines to administer the pension programs.
- Provide both one on one information sharing and organize in-house training sessions with pension providers to enable employees to make informed decisions concerning their opportunities under their respective pension plans (OMERS & OTPP).
- Ensure breaks in service are offered for purchase to all OMERS members, with every effort made to ensure employees understand the implications of their decisions.
- Ensure employees are provided with the information required to understand the significance of applying for a Disability Waiver of contributions (OMERS) during periods of illness.
- Identify employees’ eligibility to enrol under the Pension Benefits Act, offer the opportunity to enroll in OMERS, and document employees’ option to waive or enroll, including annual Voluntary Eligibility Process
- Ensure buy-back payments are reported to payroll to ensure correct year end reporting on T4’s and pension reconciliation.
- In conjunction with Payroll and the two pension plans, co-ordinate the on-line reporting of pension information to ensure that discrepancies are identified, investigated and resolved, thus resulting in accurate, timely annual reporting.
- Ensures WCDSB adherence to the PBA (Pension Benefits Act), the OMERS Act and the Ontario Teachers’ Pension Act.
- Ensure pension data for year end is correct and T4s are accurate. This will include the calculation of the pension adjustments.
- Provide training and ongoing support to the Payroll and Human Resources departments.
- Communicate with employees and their union representatives (as requested) to resolve discrepancies, contribution errors and where necessary, identify timely repayment arrangements. Ensure the employee’s payroll record is updated to accurately reflect these collections. Ensure the pension plans receive the correct information.
- Participate in committees with Ontario Association for School Board Officials (OASBO), such as Payroll, Human Resources, and Pension; as well as iSYS/ HRPLink User groups.
- Carry out any other duties and responsibilities as required
- 3 Year Diploma in Business Administration or Equivalent
- Certified Employee Benefit Specialist Designation
- Minimum 3 years of related experience in a large public sector organization
- Current knowledge of Pension Benefits Act, Employment Standards Act, Income Tax Act
- Proficiency in a range of computer applications including Office 365 and HRIS systems
- Excellent leadership, communication, presentation, and organizational skills
- Forward thinking, responsible, proactive, and action-oriented
- Familiarity with Ontario Municipal Employee Retirement System (OMERS) and Teachers Pension Plan (TPP)
- Experience at an Ontario school board in a pension-related capacity
- Experience in an complex multi-union environment
Salary Level and Salary Range: PASS Level 4, $61,735 – $72,628 per year in accordance with the PASS Terms of Employment
Hours of Work: Permanent full time: 35 hours per week/12 months per year
Location(s): Catholic Education Centre – 35 Weber Street West, Unit A, Kitchener, Ontario
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a resume and covering letter.
Applicants must attach all required documentation required for this position to the resume in order to be considered a candidate for the position.
For external applicants: applications will be received via email at firstname.lastname@example.org while the internal applicants must apply via email@example.com Please include your first name, last name and posting number (provided above) in the subject line. Further information on the application process can be found at:
Applications will be accepted until June 17, 2020
Only those candidates selected for an interview will be notified.
The Waterloo Catholic District School Board is welcoming of candidates from diverse communities, backgrounds and identities and encourages applications from qualified members of these groups.
Applicants are invited to self-identify if you are First Nations, Metis, Inuit, a member of a visible minority group(s) or a person with disabilities. This information is collected under the authority of the Ontario Human Rights Code and will be used to keep track of recruitment information. No personal information will be included.
To request this file in large print, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. If you require a disability related accommodation to participate the recruitment process, please contact us at (519) 578-3677, extension 2368 to discuss your needs under the Human Rights Code. Responses to inquiries will be provided within 72 hours. Please use one method of application only.
This is a non-denominational equal opportunity position.